Wednesday 21 December 2016

The 2-4 Beers of Christmas Day 15: Charles Henri Amber Ale, Les 2 Frères

Beer # 313 Charles Henri Amber Ale 

Brewery: Brasserie Les 2 Frères

Type: Independent Microbrewery     Est.: 2006
Location: Terre Bonne, Quebec, Canada
Beer Style: Amber Ale 
ABV: 6.2%      IBU: 31
Format: Crown Capped Brown Glass Bottle  Size: 500 ml
Cost: $3.95 CAD     Purchased At: The Beer Store

Twitter: @BrassLes2Freres


Another trip to Quebec to this brewery I just discovered for myself. I am a big fan of Quebec beers. It has actually been way too long since I was in the Belle Province. I need to plan a trip back sometime soon. They of course are undergoing the same sort of craft beer explosion that is happening here in Ontario, BC Alberta and to a lesser extent the prairies. Quebec treats it's culture different then they do in the rest of the country. My last few trips there was so much to discover, with wineries, cheese makers brewers and cider houses. Quebec actively promotes the "little guy"  with road signs, maps, and culture routes. Ontario has just started to follow suit, as I am hoping the rest of the country is too. 

Onto our beer tonight...

Pours a lovely light amber with a large fluffy off-white head made up of small and medium bubbles. Citrus, caramel, and mineral dominate the nose, with light hints of green hops following. First sip is bright fruity, lychee, citrus, sweet tropical fruit, hints of coconut, and a crisp mineral quality. Flavour slowly slides down into a pool of caramel and vanilla, more subtle green hops, and some touches of dandelion and honey. As it warms more fruit comes to the party, apples and pears, plus a slight hint of raisin. A touch sticky on the lips, reminds me of a Tokaji dessert wine. Aeration sparks up some more mineral and flintiness, and brings out a light breadiness. Just enough to remind you that this is in fact a beer, and not a fine wine. Flavour finished with some bitter, and mustard greens.


Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 6/6 
EXCEPTIONAL

Colour: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Beer Style: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Re-Order:  6/6  EXCEPTIONAL
Experience: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL
Christmas Cheer: 6/6 EXCEPTIONAL

Final Thoughts:


Stellar. I think this is by far the best Amber ale I have ever tried. So flavourful. This is what ales should taste like. Bursting with fruity flavours, thirst quenching, satisfying. It is truly like a dessert wine. I would not have a problem pairing this with a dessert, or a long fire lit evening in a cabin in the Quebec woods. You should pair this beer with a glass... you will thank me.


Cheers


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online


And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment