Wednesday 5 October 2016

Beer # 279 Heroes Cold filtered Lager


#279 Heroes Cold Filtered lager

Southpaw Beverage Company


Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Contract Brewery
Lager 
5.0 % ABV Aluminium Can 473 ml.
$2.75 (Canadian) At The LCBO

Twitter: @southpawbevco

This beer appeared in the LCBO for the summer and it was very bright and stood out on the shelf. It was fairly easy to see this beer was more of a marketing stunt than a craft beer. It's packaging is overtly patriotic bordering on jingoistic. Southpaw is a contract brewery but my research has not turned up at which brewery they brew at. I figured I would give it a quick taste anyway...

Onwards... heroically.

Pours clear gold  with a short off-white head made up of small bubbles. Nose is citrus and light grain with hints of some chemicals. When I first cracked the can there was a fairly strong off, sulphurous smell. First sip is tart grainy and some hints of citrus. Beer is light and lacks substance. Aeration brings out some acidic breadiness.

Impressions: Fail, So-so, Pass, Exceptional 


Cost: 5/6 PASS

Colour: 5/6 PASS
Beer Style: 1/6  FAIL
Re-Order:  0/6  FAIL
Experience: 1/6 FAIL

Final Thoughts:


My initial thoughts were correct. More insight was placed into the packaging and marketing than actually brewing a good product. The beer is dominated by off-flavours and chemical notes. Trust me you could be far more patriotic by supporting a local brewery that hires your neighbours than giving your hard earned cash to this company. Avoid.


Cheers


CJT


Follow me on Twitter: @pintjockey

Like me on FacebookPint Jockey Online

And don't forget to "Friend" me on Untappd.

No comments:

Post a Comment